This position is responsible for assisting clients with their bookkeeping, financial reports, general ledgers, accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll needs. Must be able to work independently as well as within a team. The Accounting Services Technician must be professional at all times and will have direct client contact. This position involves attention to detail with the ability to meet deadlines.
The Accounting Services Technician reports directly to the Accounting Services Supervisor.
Education and Experience Requirements
Ideal candidate will have one or more year’s related experience in bookkeeping and payroll. Candidate will also have experience in a professional office setting with extensive client contact.
Essential Functions: (to perform successfully in this position, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily as well as possess education/experience, employ the knowledge, skills and abilities as listed in representative fashion; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
• Performs all duties associated with basic bookkeeping and financial reporting, including general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll.
• Prepares Balance Sheets, Income Statements, and other financial documents.
• Records financial transactions in accounting software.
• Maintains monthly general ledgers including chart of accounts and subsidiary ledgers.
• Reconciles bank accounts and other general ledger accounts to sub ledger balances or other supporting documentation.
• Prepares and enters journal entries as needed, including depreciation, amortization and payroll journal entries.
• Processes accounts payable for various clients.
• Processes payroll and makes deposits for various clients, including maintaining employee records.
• Organizes after-the-fact accounting and payroll records provided by the clients.
• Prepares payroll tax returns including federal returns and state withholding and unemployment returns.
• Prepares sales tax returns.
• Prepares year end payroll and accounts payable information returns (W2/W3, 1099/1096).
• Assists with SUTA and Worker’s Compensation audits.
• Communicates with clients regarding uncategorized transaction or payroll data and gather missing information necessary to complete job duties.
• Reports potential problems to appropriate internal management.
• Assists clients using client hosted software – either remotely or on site, and provides support and training on systems. Reviews internally prepared statements and provides adjusting journal entries when needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned by Accounting Services Supervisor.
Nonessential Functions: An employee in this position may back up other positions in the Accounting Services Department.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to anticipate the needs of clients by using effective problem solving skills.
• Ability to balance multiple projects, organize and prioritize work within a budget.
• Excellent customer service skills; ability to communicate clearly with a variety of people, in one-to-one and small group settings – either face-to-face, by telephone, or by other electronic means – ability to communicate in an informative manner, effectively listen, and be able to handle escalating situations with concern and confidence.
• Ability to support time-based requests; able to function effectively in a multi-tasking, fast-paced environment with deadlines, frequent interruptions, and some interpersonal pressure.
• Ability to deal effectively and professionally with people; proven capabilities in establishing appropriate professional rapport, with courtesy and tact, to accurately determine others' needs, collect necessary information, and follow-through when requested.
• Ability to keep client information confidential.
Physical/Mental Demands: (The physical demands and work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this position and/or may be encountered while performing essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
• The ability to deal with a high level of stressful situations with time sensitive projects.
• The ability to comply with highly inflexible deadlines is required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position; there will be multiple occurrences of sudden, urgent task completion required.
• While performing the essential duties of this position, an employee would frequently be required to move around the office space as well as within hallways, meeting rooms.
• There may be multiple/daily instances of prolonged personal computer use which would include keyboard and/or mouse usage as well as viewing a computer monitor.
• Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
• The overall work environment requires the mental ability to shift focal point quickly due to interruptions; an employee must be able to mentally track multiple projects and tasking as well.
NOTE: This position description is a general description; it is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of McGee, Hearne & Paiz, LLP are expected to perform other tasks as assigned by their respective supervisor/manager regardless of job title or routine job duties.