Authored by RSM LLP
An updated edition of A guide to accounting for business combinations is now available. Our comprehensive guide is designed to assist middle market companies in their application of the guidance in Topic 805, Business Combinations, of the Financial Accounting Standards Board’s (FASB) Accounting Standards Codification (ASC). This edition reflects recent changes made to the accounting for business combinations by the FASB and addresses many additional practice issues. The following list highlights some of the significant topics added, expanded upon or otherwise updated in this edition of our business combinations guide:
- Acquired leases within the scope of ASC 842, Leases, including treatment of a right-of-use asset when applying the screen to determine whether a business was acquired
- Factors to consider when determining whether a new entity should be considered a buyer
- Accrued bonuses for a preexisting bonus plan of the target
- Acquired customer contracts within the scope of ASC 606, Revenue from Contracts with Customers
- Payments to employees in connection with an acquisition
- Certain insurance-related costs incurred related to a business combination
- Presentation of acquired cash
- Private company accounting alternative for evaluating triggering events for goodwill impairment testing
A summary of all significant changes made in this edition can be found in Appendix F of the guide.
Call us at (307) 634-2151 or fill out the form below and we’ll contact you to discuss your specific situation.
This article was written by RSM US LLP and originally appeared on 2023-07-13.
2022 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each are separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/aboutus for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM(tm) brandmark is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
MHP, LLP is a proud member of RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise, and technical resources.
For more information on how the MHP, LLP can assist you, please contact us.